Understanding Why Aspiring PhD Students Seek a Postbaccalaureate Research Program
Authors: Robin Remich, Jill L. Keller, Lynn Gazley, Richard McGee
The CLIMB Program for early PhD students at Northwestern University: Simultaneous improvements in diversity and purposeful design of research training
Authors: Steven P. Lee, Denise Drane, Karl P. Keller, Gregory Light and Richard McGee
Social Science Theories for Natural Scientists: The decoder you have been looking for to translate theory to practice for interventions!
Authors: Lynn Gazley, Patricia B. Campbell, Jill L. Keller and Richard McGee
Theory-Driven Interventions in Bioscience PhD Programs: Shouldn't the playing field be level by then?
Authors: Richard McGee, Steven P. Lee, Denise Drane, Karl Keller and Gregory Light
The Scientific Careers Research and Development Group - Integrating theory, research and application to understand and promote scientific careers
Authors: Richard McGee, Jill L. Keller, Patricia B. Campbell, Robin Remich, Sandra LaBlance, Steven P. Lee, Lynn Gazley, Ebony McGee, Karl Keller, Bryan Breau, Jennifer L. Richardson, Elizabeth Morrissey and Simon Williams
Posters & Presentations
Dreams of Balance: The Intersection of Expectations, Balance, Isolation and Connections for Women and Men Early in PhD Training
Authors: Lynn Gazley, Sandra LaBlance & Rick McGee
Social Science Theories for Natural Scientists Part 2: A Workshop on Applying Social Science Theories to Design and Assessment of STEM Interventions
Authors: Rick McGee, Michelle Naffziger, Jennifer Richardson-Stovall, Simon Williams & Lynn Gazley
Introducing the Academy for Future Science Faculty: Integrating Coaching and Social Science Theories into Biomedical training
Authors: Simon Williams, Jennifer Richardson-Stovall, Michelle Naffziger, Rick McGee
Beyond Mentoring: Academic Career “Coaching” as a Supplement to the Traditional Training of Biomedical PhD Students
Authors: Michelle Naffziger, Jennifer Richardson-Stovall, Simon Williams and Rick McGee
- McGee, R. and Keller, J.L.: (2007) Identifying Future Scientists: Predicting persistence into research training. CBE-Life Sciences Education 6(4), 316-331. http://www.lifescied.org/cgi/content/full/6/4/316
- McGee, R and DeLong, M.J. (2007) Collaborative co-mentored dissertations spanning institutions: Influence on student Development. CBE Life Science Education 6(2), 119-131. http://www.lifescied.org/cgi/content/full/6/2/119
- McGee, R., Almquist, J, Keller, J.L. and Jacobsen, S. J.: Teaching and Learning Responsible Research Conduct: Influences of Prior Experiences and Conflicting Messages. (2008) Accountability in Research 15, 30-62. http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content%7edb=all%7econtent=a789269418%7efrm=titlelink
- McGee Jr, R., Saran, S. and Krulwich, T. A. (2012), Diversity in the Biomedical Research Workforce: Developing Talent. Mt Sinai J Med, 79: 397–411. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/msj.21310/abstract. If you are unable to access this article via the link, please contact Rick McGee at r-mcgee@northwester to have a copy sent to you.
- Thakore, B.K., Naffziger-Hirsch, M.E., Richardson J.L., Williams, S.N., McGee, R.: The Academy for Future Science Faculty: randomized controlled trial of theory-driven coaching to shape development and diversity of early-career scientists. BMC Medical Education (2014), 14:160 (PDF) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6920/14/160
- Gazley, J.L., Remich, R., Naffziger-Hirsch, M.E., Keller, J., Campbell, P., & McGee, R. (2014). Beyond preparation: Identity cultural capital, and readiness for graduate school in the biomedical sciences. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 51(8), 1021-1048. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tea.21164/full If you are unable to access this article via the link, please contact Rick McGee at r-mcgee@northwester to have a copy sent to you.
- Remich R, Naffziger-Hirsch ME, Gazley JL, McGee R. (2016). Scientific Growth and Identity Development during a Postbaccalaureate Program: Results from a Multisite Qualitative Study. CBE Life Science Education. 2016 Fall; 15(3). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27496357
- Williams SN, Thakore BK, McGee R. (2016). Career Coaches as a Source of Vicarious Learning for Racial and Ethnic Minority PhD Students in the Biomedical Sciences: A Qualitative Study. PLoS One. 2016 Jul 28;11(7). http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0160038
- McGee R. (2016). Biomedical Workforce Diversity: The Context for Mentoring to Develop Talents and Foster Success Within the “Pipeline”. AIDS and Behavior. 2016 Sep; 20 Suppl 2:231-7. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10461-016-1486-7 If you are unable to access this article via the link, please contact Rick McGee at r-mcgee@northwester to have a copy sent to you.
- Remich R, Jones R, Wood CV, Campbell PB, McGee R. (2016). How Women in Biomedical PhD Programs Manage Gender Consciousness as They Persist Toward Academic Research Careers. Academic Medicine. 2016 Aug; 91(8):1119-27. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27254008
- Williams SN, Thakore BK, McGee R. (2016). Coaching to Augment Mentoring to Achieve Faculty Diversity: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Academic Medicine. 2016 Aug; 91(8): 1128-35. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26675187